Something Needs to Change
Book Trailer Video
About the Book
What happens when a well-known pastor and best-selling author has his deepest convictions rocked by darkness in the world around him? What happens when, in the face of great pain, suffering, and loss, he finds himself startlingly and honestly asking, “Is Jesus really the hope of the world?”
David Platt was fresh off a trek through some of the highest mountains and remotest villages in the world. While there, he saw firsthand some of the most urgent physical and spiritual needs imaginable. Late one night, face to the floor in a flood of tears, he found himself overwhelmed with seismic questions:
- If the gospel is true and God really is good, then where is God amid extreme poverty and pain?
- Where are the peace and protection of God for the oppressed and exploited in the world?
- Is hell really a place and does it actually last forever?
- If so, then why are so many people born into what seems like an earthly hell, only to move to an eternal one? How can that be fair?
In this compelling account of that treacherous trek, Platt invites you to eat what he ate, drink what he drank, see the faces he saw, and feel the emotions he felt at every turn. In the end, you will find yourself eye to eye with some of the most challenging needs in the world and face to face with the God who wants to use your life in greater ways than you could have ever imagined.
Reading this book is not risk-free. It will leave you transformed and determined to take action. Because something needs to change!
Watch the Simulcast
Sermon: Hope and the Himalayas
What does it mean to follow Jesus in a world filled with urgent physical and spiritual need? Continue wrestling and reflecting through this eight-session Bible study. You’ll ask hard questions alongside Platt about human need, suffering, faith, the gospel, and our role on a mind-wrestling trek through the Himalayas—a life-altering journey of obedience to Christ.
Engage with the study to:
- Gain a sense of calling and purpose by considering ways God can use you to meet physical and spiritual needs.
- Observe Jesus’ response to urgent need throughout the Gospel of Luke.
- Identify ways God may be calling you to pray, go, and give for the sake of His glory among the nations.
- Discover concrete action steps for getting involved in God’s mission.
- Refuse to stand idly by while people perish without hearing the name of Jesus