Anticipation. Repentance. Hope. Joy. These words characterize the Advent season, a season in which Christians focus their attention on Christ’s advent, or “coming.” On the one hand, we reflect back on Christ’s first coming and His fulfillment of God’s Old Testament promises of a Messiah who would deliver His people by laying down His life. At the same time, we look forward to Christ’s second coming, when He will put an end to sin and death and bring God’s redemptive purposes to their glorious consummation.
The goal of this Advent guide is to help individuals and families reflect on and respond to these important truths. Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas and ends on Christmas Eve, December 24. This guide provides twenty-five days of readings so that you can begin on December 1 and finish on Christmas Day.
In addition to each day’s Scripture reading and devotional reflection, you’ll find a suggestion for how you and your family might pray in light of the truths that you’ve read. You’ll also notice a variety of activities scattered throughout the guide that are aimed at helping families respond to these truths in ways that are interactive and engaging for children. Feel free to adapt, supplement, or skip these activities depending on the particular needs of your family.
Pray the Word
This guide is adapted from David Platt’s “Pray the Word” podcast and has been created with the help of McLean Bible Church in Washington, D.C.
- December 1 – Hope for the Hopeless
- December 2 – Walking by Faith
- December 3 – Looking and Living for Our Future Reward
- December 4 – The Privilege of His Presence
- December 5 – Look and Live
- December 6 – I Will Put My Words In His Mouth
- December 7 – Breaking the Cycle of Sin
- December 8 – Find Refuge Under His Wings
- December 9 – Kiss the Son
- December 10 – A Sufficient Sacrifice
- December 11 – The God Who Remembers
- December 12 – Longing for His Justice
- December 13 – He Came To Set Us Free
- December 14 – A Desire Fulfilled
- December 15 – Redeemed by God
- December 16 – Wonderful Counselor
- December 17 – Mighty God
- December 18 – Everlasting Father
- December 19 – The Prince of Peace
- December 20 – The Spirit Shall Rest on Him
- December 21 – His Mercies Never End
- December 22 – From Bitterness to Blessing
- December 23 – He Has Spoken To Us By His Son
- December 24 – Love On Display
- December 25 – God With Us, Forever