Climate: Average temperature 28 degrees Celsius (Summer) -15 degrees Celsius (in Winter), extremely dry except during rainy season (July-August).
Terrain: 70% Grassland; from high plateau to tropical forest
Geography: Tibet is located on the northern side of the Himalayas, north of India, Nepal, Bhutan and Myanmar (Burma) on the barren tableland of the Tibetan Plateau, the world’s highest region with an average altitude of more than 4,000 m above sea level.
Ethnic Groups: primarily ethnic Tibetans; Menba, Lhoba, Mongols, Hui and a growing number of Han Chinese.
Languages: Tibetan, Chinese
Government Type: Communist party-led state (People’s Republic of China)
The Tibet Autonomous Region was founded on 9 September 1965.
Largest Religion: Buddhism (98%)
Percentage Evangelical Christian: 0.02%
People Groups with Access to Scripture: 25
URGENT is engaged in the following activities within Tibetans of the Himalayas:
- Church Planting
- Humanitarian Efforts
- The Lamaist Buddhists in Tibet – that God would bring them into contact with Christians, and would work great miracles through seemingly insignificant exchanges.
- The ongoing production of accessible Christian resources and for their distribution. May their use not only lead to true conversion but also encourage Christian discipleship and maturity.
- The small, but growing number of Christians in Tibet – may they be given courage, strength, wisdom and vision.
- A peaceful resolution to the Tibetans’ struggle for independence. Pray for those in positions of power, that they would truly desire the best for those they lead.
- Safety and wisdom for Christians working in the area.
- Security Tier: 1
- Religion: Buddhist
- Engagement Scale: 3
(1=High to 50=Low)